Thursday, February 17, 2005

The Terminator Lives

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4140446

The US government has authorized $127 billion (billion with a 'b') for fully automated 'robot' soldiers to fight in Iraq and elsewhere.

This has certain advantages, I admit. One loses fewer US troops, and it must inspire street rebels with a sense of frustration to fight robots all day.

But what worries me is, if we send cold automatons to fight real people, the public gets totally seperated from the realities of war. No triggers to pull, no grenades to throw, no buildings to dynamite. Let the machines do it. It's a form of numbing therapy, and it sounds very dangerous.

1 comment:

A Wiser Man Than I said...

The public is quickly approaching seperation from the realities of war. I share your worry that robot soldiers will only speed this up.

The greater issue is how you get an apathetic public to care about something more than their own life. Whether one agrees with the war or not, it is happening.

We all seem to have lost interest.